We have encountered an issue across multiple evolvers that have been on for months/years at a time where they stop being able to be connected to by the desktop PC or laptop. If the pc can’t connect (either through the GUI or SSH on the terminal), you can try the following steps:
- Plug in a mouse, keyboard, and monitor to the RPi USB and HDMI ports
- Restart the RPi by unplugging it, waiting a few seconds, then plugging it back in.
- The eVOLVER GUI should appear on the monitor after the RPi boots up (wait a minute or so). Press
Ctrl + Alt Right Arrowto go to a new desktop (it will look like a blank screen).
- Right click anywhere on the screen to display a popup - click
Terminal emulator. The mouse might not appear on the screen, but you should be able to see the menu items become highlighted.
- In the terminal window that will appear, type
sudo systemctl restart ssh.service.
Everything should work as normal after that. I’m not entirely sure why this happens, but this solution is better than having to re-flash the RPi.
You can also do this without a mouse by pressing
Ctrl + Alt + 2, which will pop up a fullscreen console. You will need to login using the RPi credentials with this method, then run the same command as above.