Ok figured it out - I’ll write a guide up on the wiki. It’s just very picky about how the file is placed there. You can scp the AppImage file over, ssh over to the pi, remove the old file (or backup using the mv command), then use mv to put the new AppImage in place, naming it evolver-electron-1.0.0.AppImage. The autostart script is looking explicitly for this filename at /users/pi/.
Hey Zack, thanks for the help but I’m still having issues. I tried the renaming strategy of the new evolver-electron-2.0.0.AppImage file to evolver-electron-1.0.0.AppImage whilst backing up the older version with mv evolver-electron-1.0.0.AppImage evolver-electron-1.0.0.AppImage-old but I’m still getting a blank, slightly lit-up screen with the following contents of the /users/pi directory:
That being said I have simply scp’d the AppImage file that I downloaded from the GitHub instead of packaging it myself with yarn; not sure if that’s the problem. I can give that a shot and report back.
Hi, I too am having this same problem. I tried packaging it myself and that didn’t fix anything. One thing worth noting is that for me the original .AppImage file is at /home/pi, not /users/pi. I don’t think this should make a difference but am unsure. I checked and I don’t have a /users directory at all.
Did you remove the old file (by either using mv or rm) before putting the new one in place? And did you place the file while being ssh’d on the PI (i.e. not simply by scp’ing the file)?
I think there are some weird permissions issues that depend on how the file was put in place. So if you place it (using mv) while being the pi user while ssh’d on the pi the permissions are set differently than if the file is placed via scp. I’ll dive into it more next week and do a more detailed post. Again, you can simply use the old version of the GUI on the rpi for now, functionally the new version changes nothing on the setup page, and on the new version that is the only button that appears on the pi.
I followed these, as listed on the evolver-electron github:
$ scp release/evolver-electron-1.0.0.AppImage pi@<RPI_IP>:~/evolver-electron-1.0.0.AppImage-new
$ ssh pi@<RPI_IP>
$ mv evolver-electron-1.0.0.AppImage evolver-electron-1.0.0.AppImage-old
$ mv evolver-electron-1.0.0.AppImage-new evolver-electron-1.0.0.AppImage
$ sudo reboot now
There should only be a “SETUP” button on the most recent version. If you aren’t just seeing a black screen it’s likely working the way it’s supposed to be.
We temporarily removed “CALIBRATIONS”, as they require some additional dependencies and configurations that aren’t on the RPi image we send out by default in order to do them without the need to subsequently run a script on a connected lab desktop/laptop. We will be adding it back soon.
I updated the binary file in the release on github and pushed the changes to hotfix. This, combined with Brandon’s instructions for adding the executable flag to the file permissions, should resolve all issues. Let me know if you still have problems!
Worked for me as well, thanks for documenting the awesome discussions! Just wanted to chime in and let you know that aside from only having the “Setup” button which you already mentioned, I have also lost the ‘dragging’ feature on the devices GUI. Otherwise everything works well.